Thursday 26 February 2009

Spotlight On...Andrew Green

Name
Andrew Green

Who do you race for?
Addiscombe CC

What type of races do you do?

General rule of thumb is try everything. I’m basically a tester (all distances although my first 50, 100 and 12hr were all last year) with some Palace crits thrown in just for a bit of fun. I also did a couple of Herne Hill track leagues, a MTB race and a few cyclo cross last year which I really enjoyed.

In the grand scheme of the results I’m very much pack fodder, but just enjoy it. One of the things I like about TTs is the fact that they give everyone of any ability the chance to race, and compete against themselves to try and keep improving, whilst also cometing against the best in the country at the same time.



Where do you race?

Locally as there is plenty around. I’d rather do local courses where I can compare times and see friends than travel for hours to chase a fast course.

Briefly describe a typical training session -

Err, not applicable. I don’t do any structured training or sessions as I ride how I want to when I want to, not to what a schedule tells me as it would rob the enjoyment of cycling for me.

I commute 14 lumpy miles each way 3-4 days a week which are useful “free” miles, and I like long rides. Sometimes I’ll go harder than others, or throw in the odd interval during the ride, but only when/if I want to. No rides are that easy pace and the local terrain means there are always a few hills (I like to disprove the myth that small light people are good climbers!), and I ride fixed wheel quite a lot through winter – people will always argue ‘til the cows come home about whether that’s good or not, but I do it because I like it. That tends to give me a reasonable base and then I race myself fit with some early season Sporting TTs.

HRMs, Powertaps and the like are the work of the devil.

What are your Goals for this year?

PBs at all distances from the 700 yard Bec Hill Climb up to 12 hour TT.

To keep encouraging club mates to have a go at any type of racing. If you don’t like it don’t do it again, but if you don’t try you could miss out on something you’d love.

What have been your best races so far?


My 25 PB last year which was on a perfect day, my first 50 was okay timewise and introduced my to what could easily become my favourite distance. The 12hr, after the first 3-4 hours. The first 4 hours were miserable in persistent rain and starting in the dark on a horrible road, but after that once on to the circuits it was great. Superb atmosphere and camaraderie amongst competitors and all the support crews

No comments: