Friday 13 February 2009

Spotlight on...Adam Cotterell



Name

Adam Cotterell

Who do you race for?

InGear Development Squad/OneLife


What type of races do you do?


Mostly Road Races, but the odd TT in there for a bit of a laugh! Also maybe a bit of track here and there, I have been learning the craft at Calshot over the winter.>


Where do you race?


All over now, previously I have been based mainly in the South East. But now my licence says 1st, I'm forced to travel further afield. But thats OK, there's some awesome races outside of the South East. With my team I'll also be heading over to Belgium quite a bit this season with a view to moving out there full time next year. It's looking likely that I may get to go to Ireland at Easter, with the Surrey League, to ride the Rás Mumhan. Fingers crossed...


Briefly describe a typical training session

-A typical training session!? There is no such thing! Now I'm coached by Alan Denman, my training is about as varied as I could ask for. Some standout rides include multiple climbs of Box Hill, using the 53x16, and sprinting from the last bend to the café. Also, doing so called ''Power Workouts''. These involve doing 15s sprints x5 with a minute rest between each... x5... and now... x6! It's definately not easy, but I'm definately stronger for it now.


What are your Goals for this year?

Well, thats a difficult one. Ultimately the goal this year is to reach a stage where moving to Belgium is the logical progression for me as a rider. But how to get there? Well obviously winning a few races this season is going to be important, some that spring to mind: Dengie Marshes Tour, BUCS (previously British Universities Sports Asscociation) Road Race Champs and the Regional Champs are on the menu for the squad, so who knows. As important to me this year will be to help my team mates win some races too, I'm looking foward to being a domestique for some races! One slightly optimistic dream would be to ride the proper Rás (Now ranked a UCI 2.2 stage race, one rung below the Tour of Britain) in May, when speaking to Keith Butler last it was mentioned fleetingly. That said, it's going to clash with my uni finals, so something will have to give. Even if it means doing my exams later on in the summer if possible, getting a ride in the Rás and going OK would be a major boost to my aspirations on the continent.


What have been your best races so far?

Well the ones I've won mainly! I think September last year was probably the best few weeks of racing I have done so far. It all kicked off with the London GP, the support race to the Tour of Britain. I watched Mark Cavendish win it a few years back as a youthful 17 year old new boy in the world of cycling, and there I was thundering round a damp and slippery Westminster Crit clinging onto the wheels of some of the fastest guys in the country. Was probably the most fun I had on my bike all year! The week after I matched the likes of Dodd, McNamara, Higham and Meadows to get a respectable top 10 on the Cutmill circuit. The crowning moment though was two fold, first winning my old club Addiscombe's Club RR. Then the next day, winning the Martin Newell Memorial in Oxfordshire, by dropping the break on the final climb. Yes!

No comments: