Wednesday 18 February 2009

Arsenal - Ascot - Arsenal

This week I decided to commute to a sign language course being held on Tuesday and Wednesday at our head office in Ascot. With racing days fast approaching the chance to rack up 160 miles across two days was something even an anti-mile muncher like myself just had to take. The clement weather obviously helped to seal the deal so I got going at 6.20am on days and returned around 7pm.

Riding at 21mph-24mph on the A30 in heavy traffic isn't something I'd really recommend; indeed coupled with a big heavy ruck sac I can feel the evidence of my toils on my right shoulder this morning. Yesterday night after arriving back into town a dude on a fixie blasted past me just at the approach near Regent's Park. Now there's nothing wrong with this behaviour in principle even if it is on my home patch. However such blatant demonstrations of speed must never be tolerated from individuals who choose to cycle in annoying luminous green jackets.

Now of course jumping on some one's wheel feels a bit like cheating sometimes. The fact that he was spinning away at 120rpms's and panting like a greyhound meant it felt like blatant robbery. lol!!! Chapeau to the guy he carried the ferocious intensity up Camden Road and then stuck to my wheel when I finely decided that I'd taken enough of an advantage of his athleticism. I finally dispatched him on Seven Sister Road before turning off at Finsbury Park station towards Arsenal.

No comments: