Sunday 1 February 2009

Chilling with J

It had to be five today. Yes indeed, I wasn't gonna get cold for nobody. Now, five layers of thin lycra - great outside in cold wintry conditions very bad inside in warm centrally heated house. Moral of the story - be ready. Don't spend ten minutes hunting for door keys because the chances of overheating and passing out on the sofa are far too great.

When I got to Regents I was joined a lap later by a very strong rider called Jason Pidd, who along with Phil Sheehan (Finchley RT), Marek (Addiscombe CC) and myself spent a season riding for Mosquito Bikes. Jason only rides one way - fast; he is not really the guy you want to meet when you're in base mile training mode. Anyway I didn't need to wonder about him half wheeling me slowly to death because he was only just getting back into endurance rides after the christmas break. Hmmm!

After an hour of good tempo riding three guys latched on to our wheels and almost immediately an unofficial thru and off began. Er...nice!... Oh no, Jason went to the front and ramped up the pace till two of the guys were dropped. Then Jason and this American dude began to duke it out a little bit on the descent. I let them carry on with their playground scrap before catching up with them both just before the drag.

On the drag I watched as Jason's rear derailer began to move the chain across the block and down to smaller cogs. I remained stuck to his wheel for a couple of minutes as the speed increased. He then eased up and began to complain about not being fit but nevertheless happy because all three wheel suckers had been dropped. My nice two hour ride came to an end a few laps later

No comments: