Monday 16 February 2009

Riding in Essex

ACC's Keith Lea called it just about right. I was a little concerned about my enforced three and a half weeks off the bike back in late December early Jan. Keith suggested it should take a month to get most of my fitness back and I'd say he was just about right. So when Mr Phil Sheehan suggested a visit to Essex last Sunday for a 4 hour ride it was a chance to test my condition against a good 2nd cat. We got going from Manor House station and rode briskly towards Enfield where we met up with Adam Tranter who is now a journalist/photographer, but used to race as a Junior back in 2007 for the Merlin Development Squad. I had an idea that Phil was riding quite strongly so expected quite a feisty ride. I had know idea what shape Adam would be in but when I heard he's put on a little weight and hadn't ridden much I can't lie :-) :-) :-).

Phil led us up towards Epping forest and as I predicted jumped away on the first and most significant climb of the day. I kept things in slow burner mode an hung back with Adam. Once we'd left Epping forest Phil's Garmin navigated the rest of the our mini Tour of Essex. Having played things safe behind Phil's wheel for most of the ride in the last ninety mins I began to push things on the climbs. Myself and Phil had to hold back a little so we didn't drop and indeed loose Adam all together. Eventually with Phil's 12.30pm deadline approaching we headed back through Barnet and pushed things Team TT style (well me an Phil did;-))all the way. A good testing ride, Phil especially was quite impressive

No comments: