Sunday 9 November 2008

Winter training for season 2009 begins!!

"I can ride a bike with no handle bars[too]";-) but having spent September and October doing 'when-and-however-ya-wanna' rides its clearly time to step things up a bit more and get serious about training. For those of you unaware I made 2nd cat on my final race at Rusper (grabbed 2nd spot, in the 3rd cat Road Race) So next season I get to ride with the big boys again. I've been there before but this time I'm determined to be a decent second cat rather than just the pretender I was two years ago.

At 9am this morning I met up with Ex Pro Jean Claude and we set out in search of some quiet Hertfordshire roads. I haven't ridden for a week and quickly realised how restricted my breathing became each time the road headed skywards and more watts were required to stay on JC's wheel. After 3&1/2 hours having negotiated a few road closures, two memorial Sunday Parades, some treacherous wet leafed lanes , one puncture, two groups of forlorn looking Finsbury CC cyclists and some nutter in a white van we finally arrived back in North London. We stopped off for some Italian coffee in East Finchley and then I thanked JC for the ride before returning back to Highbury . The pace was possibly a tad too fast but hey its good to get things started with a bang.. A Highbury-Luton-Highbury commuting ride is on the cards for tomorrow. That's eight hours of riding in two days. Once again its on!!!

No comments: