Thursday 27 November 2008

My Best Turbo Workout Ever?

Snots or no snots the show must go on. This evening I started my warm up in 53/21 and then spent a couple of minutes each in 19, 18 and 17 until I eventually settled down in 53/15. The physical effects of these transitions became noticeable very quickly so my happy-gum-chewing syncopated breathing in 53/21 was replaced ten minutes later by a gulping goldfish on a bike? I'm not sure how long those popular fairground giveaways can survive without water. I don't think they can hang on for twenty minutes. I did - just about!

My five minute recovery period was over far too quickly and I had just enough time to drink a large glass of hot water laced with lemsip. Once again Kylie was cranked back into action and Snoop Dog suggested that "I drop it like its hard". 2 x 20's, Hip Hop music and common colds all have one thing in common. They can eventually lead to sensory overload. I couldn't shake off my cold and the 2 x 20's had to be completed so the the rap tunes had to go. For the last ten minutes, having dropped down to a gear to 53/17 and still holding a 90 rpm cadence, I rode with just the whirring of Kylie's motor in my ear. The kitched stayed cool, and I continued to get hot and very very bothered. Can someone bring me another tissue please.

Now without tunes in my ears I closed my eyes and my brain did a google style search for motivating cycling images. I briefly caught a glimpse of John Heaton Armstrong heroic bridging effort during the 2/3 Beachy Head Classic RR this year before it was usurped by his more famous namesake racing up Alpe Duez. A bit more pedal grinding and teeth grinding and the total forty minutes was up. Phew! Thats one threshold workout I'd like to forget :-(

No comments: