Friday 1 May 2009

Fast Club

Er... I'm calling it a 'club' but in reality it is nothing of the sort. There's no membership form to fill in; there are no rules or guidelines; questions or attempts at even fleeting conversation are met with disdain or are completely rebuffed. Apart from myself there only appears to be two other members. I say myself and two other members like its a club - sorry to confuse you but we've ridden together on at least five occasions and I just need someway of defining what it is...OK, more specifically, there are these two guys - one wears a Francaise des Jeux Pro Race kit and the other where's a plain cycling top (with small rucksac) and baggy shorts. They mumble a few words to each other in what sounds like South African accents. I normally attach myself to their wheels at the beginning or the end of my Regents Park training ride. They say nothing to me and I no longer attempt to communicate with them. They just seem to take turns riding around the park fairly fast (slightly above 25mph+ on the flattish bits).

If you've stayed abreast of things you'll know I haven't got my Road bike at present so it can be tough hanging on whilst on an old mountain bike. On quite a few occasions I've attempted to take a turn when the pace has eased (perhaps 25mph) but these guys just surge away from me so I resign myself to sitting on their wheels. These session are made even more exhilarating by the fact the fast duo like to squeeze through gaps between two lines of slowing cars at warp speed. I sensibly ease up when this happens then spend a good thirty seconds chasing to get back on. I haven't seen them for the last few days so perhaps there's been a change in the rules. Who knows?

No comments: