Friday 22 May 2009

Hog Hill Again!

Well...some of the speedier 1st cats were not there tonight (21.05)so the race wasn't quite the full on do or die affair of last week. In a way though it initially made the race harder psychologically cause you had to respond to a quirky compination of club run speed mixed in with full gas attacks. I felt I rode a little better this week which was helped by knowing where on the circuit to pay attention and where to ensure you were glued to some one's back wheel. The headwind just before the climb seemed to be a good place to attack and someone else obviously thought that too cause thats what happened. Hands up I was caught napping and along with 10 other faced the prospect of riding 'commuter' rather than business class. I did try and chase along with a couple of others in the group but it needed an all round concerted effort and lets be honest if you're not part of a team that ain't gonna happen.

Oh I say I rode well but I managed to miscue the fast hairpin bend just after the climb and embarassingly rode off the circuit. Rather than chase back like a lunatic (they we long gone anyway!) I took a lap out. Another split, this time in our group -and away soft pedals my friend Phil Murrell (Finsbury Park CC) and 3 others. Damn! With fatigue now a more significant factor and further unwillingness to chase we were now down to a 5 man group. We all seemed to take turns for half a lap and got close to Phil's group but we were just flirting - full contact was never made. Oh well good training. Next week I might get to the circuit early and try out the VETS race.

No comments: