Saturday 9 May 2009

Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge

What's it all about? Well not too far from the South West London/Surrey border is the cycling Mecca - Richmond Park: a nice rolling 6.8 mile loop, with a slightly panty draggy bit and a short feisty climb. How testing the climb is will depend on whether you take the clockwise or anti clockwise loop. The challenge, should you except it, and of course you must, is to circumnavigate the park 3 times under sixty minutes.

Any cyclist who has even a vaguely competitive muscle fibre in their body has to give it a try. A couple of years ago on what TT guys call a float/no chain day I managed to get under 53 minutes. I believe I'm fitter now but could only muster 54mins 30sec yesterday evening so it means I'll need a few more attempts before I break that PB.

Here's are the top 10 positions. Its no suprise to see a strong TT guy and 1st cat Road Racer, (London Dynamo's Ian Paine) at the top. I'm lounging in 9th place and would hope to break into the top 5 positions. Full details here

1. EyePea: 49.59
2. KingstonWheeler:51.29
3. mark_d:52.17
4. SPEEDOboy77: 53.18
5. Shavedlegs: 53.34
6. CJ: 54.08
7. MatHammond:54.10
8. Karl: 54.16
9. Toks (Ademerckx).54.30
10.JonGinge. 54.32

1 comment:

JC said...

Hi there,
Stumbled across your site while doing a bit of reading about the 3 lap challenge. I'm a journalist, also a keen rider who has done the challenge a handful of times myself. Have been asked to write a short feature about the challenge for a new cycling page in the London Lite, and was wondering if you would be happy to answer a few questions about it for the piece if I emailed them to you?
Cheers,
Jeremy