Friday 29 May 2009

Spotlight on...Antony 'Antloony' Leeson

Who do you race for?
Addiscombe CC, the best, brightest and biggest club in the UK

How long have you been racing?
I took part in my first race at Crystal Palace in June 08 so just coming up to a year now. I've only been cycling for 18 months after deciding that years of a very unhealthy lifestyle which consisted of smoking 20 a day and doing zero exercise was going to send me to an early grave. As for that first Palace outing, I lasted 12 laps.


What type of races do you do?
I do tend to enjoy road racing having got the bug from taking part and winning the B race in our members road race last year. I quite like the Hillingdon circuit but can get a bit boring lap after lap. I've taken part in a couple of Surrey League road races with a few other Agreeables and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to doing a few more once I get my knee problem sorted out. I've had a go at TT but tend to get a bit lonely and my mind drifts way to easily.


Where do you race?
So far I've raced at Palace, Hillingdon and as mentioned a couple of Surrey league races. I'd like to have a go at Dunsfold in the near future.


Briefly describe a typical training session

I must be the laziest cyclist in our club when it comes to training. I rarely do any. I just dont have the get up and go to train on my own. I only usually manage one ride a week and thats our saturday morning club run. Depending on how I feel I'll go with either a 19 mph average group or the bonkers fast training group. Earlier this year I did a few chain gang sessions on a wednesday night. These were really hard at times due to the calibre of riders though I did feel they taught me to dig in deeper and not be afraid to really push myself.


What are your Goals for this year?

Well I did want to try and gain a few points as a 3rd cat, I've a fairly healthy sprint in my legs and can manage the pace of a 3rds race OK but as my knee is causing me some grief at the moment so that plans been put on hold. Quite annoying really as I felt I was going well and stood a good chance of some top 10 finishes.


Have you got any training Tips?


Well if your anything like me and just plain lazy then make every second on the bike count. I just go hard and fast and try an keep up with the group. When I first started riding with the training group I found it hard and did get dropped a few times at first but I came back for more and with some really nice words of encouragement I just stuck at it and now will even do strong turns on the front. To get where I did I just worked my way up through the groups, started of with the 17's, moved to the 18's and then on till the training group. I'd say to anyone out there trying to improve don't be afraid to push yourself, get out of that comfort zone and go for it, you might sup rise yourself.



What have been your best races so far?
Has to be Hillingdon earlier this year when I won a 4th cat race. Its just a race I knew I could win. I went the week before and came 6th despite there being snow on the course. As it was part of the Imperial Winter series that was being held there every week I knew I'd be up against the same riders the following week. I just sat in the bunch, did very little work until the last third of the final lap where I just sprinted and caught the bunch by surprise. Knowing I have a strong finish I just kept going to the line and took the win. What made it extra special was my long suffering girlfriend Anna was there to witness it.

If someone would have told me two years ago that I'd be riding bikes around like a loon and will win a race I'd have laughed at them and blown smoke in their face. How things change. I love my cycling, I look forward to each Saturday to meet up with the Agreeables and have a great time riding and chatting no matter what group I go with. I've made some good friends through ACC, met some great people and shared some fantastic epic rides. I know life as a cyclist in this country can be harsh at times but the good times far out weigh the bad so lets all get out there on a Saturday morning, smile for the world and enjoy what we do the most, ride our bikes.

No comments: