Friday 22 May 2009

Spotlight on...Dominic Lowe

Who do you race for?
Addiscombe CC

How long have you been racing?
This is my third year racing. I first raced 20 years ago (not very successfully) for Paddington CC and that lasted about 3 years. I got back into after a couple of years audaxing. I had just had an abortive attempted at a Super Randonnuer series and had abandoned after the first 200k of my first 600k ride and was looking for something different. My problem with the audaxing was that I was trying to do them as quickly as possible, so I thought I may aswell join a club and try racing. Got hooked into Addiscombe on the old Cycling Plus forum through Ian Munnery and the rest as they say is history

What type of races do you do?
It was exclusively time trialling for the first couple of years, but I am going to try my hand at road racing again. I have just competed in my first Surrey League handicap and it was a real blast so there will be more of that.

Where do you race?
Dual carriageways, the A1, A264, A31 and the A24 you, get the drift. I actually enjoy the early season TTs that are held on mainly country lanes but they are few and far between in the main season.

Briefly describe a typical training session?

It is either a 1.5 to 2 hours ride at 75 to 80% of HR or intervals at 85% and over. In the season I tend to have an easy day Monday after racing then a hard block of training Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Easy day Friday, rest day Saturday and race on Sunday. How and when this happens depends if I get up at 5am to train or try to fit it in when cycling to and from work. The early approach seems to be better as it allows me to concentrate on what I am doing rather than worrying about being late for work after dropping the kids off at school.


What are your Goals for this year?

I set myself the following goals at the end off last season
20.30 for a 10
55.00 for a 25
1.55.30 for a 50
4.15 for a 100
240miles for a 12hour
3rd cat RR

Judging on how I am going at the moment I am not even close to any of them, but lets see at the end of October

Have you got any training Tips?
Keep it simple and rest properly. I think at the level I am at, it is too easy to get bogged down with numbers and data, though it is handy as a guide. I hope to keep improving for the next couple of seasons on this approach and then I can review it and see what happens.

What have been your best races so far?
Charlotteville 50 last year when I did a 1.57.21. Felt really good.
The Antelope TTT that I did with George and Sylv. They were very kind not to crucify me on the first lap and it was a great day out.
The Surrey League handicap that I did on Thursday at South Nutfield. What a blast, even if it was raining at the end.Dominic
live on this board 24/7!!!

No comments: