Monday 1 December 2008

"I can ride a bike with 1/2 a handlebar"

Hands up those of you that went riding last weekend. Despite the bad weather I did; and I rode my bike pretty intensively too. Admittedly I only got to see kitchen appliances and kitchen walls during the ride but at least I didn't get cold and wet. During my moderately intensive chest thumbing aerobic session commonly known as a 2 x 20 Stephanie popped into the kitchen to make a cup of tea. Eastenders was on TV, back door open - kitchen cold; me on Kylie, no chance of small talk blah blah blah sensibly Steph was soon gone. Anyway she knows Kylie and I like to be alone together.
This morning I heard a sharp snap while climbing up the Camden Road drag. Shit! somehow I kept my balance and continued riding with only half my handle bars. Descending was a little nerve-racking but I made it to work. Just. :-)

5 comments:

Phil Sheehan said...

LOL at the handlebars. Have you been working secretly on sprint power?

Ade Merckx said...

Man I couldn't believe it. It just snapped right off. Jean Claude is sorting things out as we speak! You fancy Hog Hill this saturday?

Alex Murray said...

Carbon or Alu bars? I can't tell from here. I saw some guy in a 4th cat at Chertsey come down and snap 300 quids (or something equally foolish) worth of carbon handlebar. It was an utterly innocuous fall in every respect and it seemed like disproportionate damage.

You're training hard then. I might go Hog Hill the week after next to get my arse kicked.

Phil Sheehan said...

If it's clement enough for shorts and embrocation then I am going to Hillingdon, and basically using it as a training session for snap and speed. I am not at the stage in this block of training where I want to whip myself at HH. If it's too cold then it will be a sweet-spot session in da park.

Ade Merckx said...

Alu bars Alex.My inability to look after anything of value means I'm strictly a bargin basement man when it comes to bike stuff :-)