Wednesday 17 December 2008

Oops I did it again!

I see on quite a few of the cycling forums a few people are finding it hard to motivate themselves to ride in this cold weather. I'm usually quite dismissive of people that suffer from this plight but I'm fast becoming a sympathiser. Take this morning for instance. The title of today's blog entry should read Arsenal-High Wycombe-Arsenal. A small matter of negotiating 72 miles and some change, mostly along the A40 in coldish but fair conditions.

Ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem but I couldn't be arsed. I couldn't be arsed probably because I didn't bother to ride yesterday. And I didn't ride yesterday because I didn't ride on Monday... OK you can see where this is going. Anyways I still did the journey. It was work so I had to. Instead though I did it in the comfy warmth of a Japanese Automobile. I felt kinda disloyal as I drove by a couple of cyclists huffing their way up Highgate Hill but a hot Mocha and a croissaint are the perfect anodyne for those pangs of guilt... All may not be lost however because I bravely rode the total of a mile to a friends house n' back tonight. The offer of a home cooked Indian meal was a bit too tempting. Come on now, I'm loosing fitness not my mind ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I'm not the only one struggling with motivation. Off for a snowboarding holiday so I've not been racing at all and only doing light riding in a superstitious attempt to avoid injury. January is where it begins.

Let's face it, proper racing is months away and we do it for fun. I'm happy to let the other guys put themselves through hell now while I relax and then pick up in January and work hard from there.

Ade Merckx said...

Yeah, I'm going away for three weeks over Christmas so its kinda hard to keep that focus when you know all that fitness is gonna disappear. Yep roll on January :-)