Thursday 23 April 2009

Spotlight on...Stuart Spies

Name:
Stuart Spies

What club do you race for?
London Dynamo


How long have you been racing?
The minute I got my BMX, everything was a target! So on and off since I was about 8! I lived opposite a BMX track some mine dumps and a moto x course so road cycling took a little while to take hold, one viewing of Delgado’s drug fuelled rampage at The Tour and I was hooked! Thought my riding days were over though after landing in the UK 7 years ago but thankfully discovered Eastway and the rest is history, literally!

Where do you race?
Anywhere they’ll let me! I’ve crossed the Alps twice with Transalp, I’ve stupidly done the Norwegian answer to the IronMan, I’ve followed the trail of the Conquistadores in Central America with La Ruta and I’ve taken on the Lesotho Highlands with the Rhodes Challenge (oh ok so they’re not very high it just sounds adventurous) But of all of that you just cant beat South London and Palace baby!!

What type of races do you do?
Everything, fast and flat out crits, multi day mtb enduro’s even the odd dabble with the underbelly of cycling that is triathlon but that’s only when I lose a bet! I’d like to say cross but one race doesn’t really count does it?

Describe your typical training session?
Mostly guesswork! I love the social aspect of the club and equally the none structured mayhem of mates on the trails so short attention span allowing its usually Intervals Tuesday, Club pain and speed Wed, Thursday rolling recovery (look Wednesday is hard) Fri lazy commute Sat Club and Coffee or Race, Sunday 120 odd (that’s kms) or a Vik Chaudhuri 7 hours mtb epic (mostly done in terror) or race of course, Monday heavenly rest!

What are your goals for the year?
This year I want the damn 1st cat already and a win would be the cherry on top!

Have you got any training advice?
If the plan is to race, Intervals are the only answer; honestly you can ride 500miles a week if you never know how hard you can push you will morph into a spotif rider before anyone can save you.

What have been your best races so far?
Its not been pretty this year, the big multi day races will always stand out like La Ruta, so hard, but you finish along the Caribbean coast line of Costa Rica it’s a test of will that beast but a stunning way to end three days of masochism. Any finish in the top ten of an E12 I’m happy or any race where our plan works and a mate wins or does well in (I claim lots of reflected glory from it)

No comments: