Friday 17 April 2009

Spotlight on...Douglas 'Snoop Doug' Shaw

Name:
Snoop Doug (Yarrrr) aka Cap’n Snoop
aka Douglas Shaw

Who do you race for?

Addiscombe CC

What type of races do you do?
Apart from my one foray into road racing at the ACC Road Race at Beastway a few years back when I got spat out the back of the bunch like a heavy cold after a mere 300 yards, it’s time trialling for me. I occasionally threaten to return to the world of RR but I hear there’s no cake afterwards? Shocking.

How long have you been racing?
I raced my first club 10 TT in September 2004, just squeaked evens with a 29.26. I then went off on an 18 month intensive pizza fuelled training camp returning to set a new world record slowest time in the ACC Open 25 in April 2006. At the end of the 2006 season I started working (a bit) harder, steadily improving until an injury forced me off the bike after the SCCU 100 TT last year. I’m slowly coming back.

Where do you race?

Dual carriageways in Surrey and Sussex. Sad but true.

Briefly describe a typical training session:
Having developed an allergy to my turbo trainer (medically proven) I mainly use my commute to/from work as training. That, and cake plus beer of course. I’m trying to make my cycling and training, fun again. I fell out of love with my bike after last Summer and though we’re talking again, we’re not rushing things.

What are your Goals for this year?
A personal best at every distance I take part in. There’s more detail but hey, you gotta have a coupla secrets dontcha? I really enjoy seeing new faces on the circuit too so I guess a goal of mine is to keep encouraging new riders to try time trialling.

Have you got any training Tips?
Nope. Have you? I followed a regular, tough training regime of turbo intervals through winter 2007. Haven’t been back there since May 2007 when I hurt myself. Not on the turbo, digging the garden (shame). I’m too busy getting back to enjoying my riding right now to spoil it all with training.

What have been your best races so far?
Once I’d stopped crying, I kind of enjoyed my first 100 mile TT. I entered the event as a personal challenge and to prove to myself and others that pretty much anything is possible. In 2008 I set a personal best in every race I rode bar one. Weirdly, it was that one race, a 25, that I felt I rode the best of all. I was focussed, and rode as intelligently, and hard as I could, the tank was empty at the finish. That’s the one I keep in my mind as a motivator.

No comments: