Monday 23 June 2008

Pearson Cycles Jaunts 5 Day -Stage 3


More from ACC's main man

ok so this is the stage with the finish up leith hill, and it was the one I was really hoping to do well in.

I had made some extra preparations to stop me getting cramps, taking more food with me, drinking tonic water, and having one of my bottles filled with some tonic water also.So the race got under way and I felt OK, fairly well recovered- but I could feel something was not quite right with my body as a whole.

On the first lap the first bit of excitement got under way. We were going past a couple of horses when they went BONKERS! they reared up and started galloping into the peleton, splitting the back 1/3 off, which unfortunately I was in!
Understandably the peleton sped away, seeming as they had 2 great horses galloping after them right behind. Eventually after about half a mile they turned off, and now the chase was underway to get back on. Me and a guy from the Army cycling union did most of the work and we got back on after a couple of miles.

I rested up for a bit and stayed well hidden.On the next lap the next bit of action for me happened. as we were going up a slight hill i hit a bump as I was changing down into the small ring and my chain came off, and stuck between the chain ring and the frame....i whacked my arm up and watched the riders gushing passed from behind. once it was clear I jumped off and put the chain on as fast as i could, not loosing too much time. Luckily I managed to get it down as the last car in the convoy went passed. i sprinted after it and stayed behind for a few seconds to catch my breath and regain my composure...

OK stu, you have to get back on!....I pulled out from behind the car and hopped it over to the next one. unfortunately for me there must have been some attacks happening or something, as the pace was pretty hot from the pack. I had about 6 or 7 cars to get by. I started hopping from one car to the next, having to sprint pretty hard to get round them each time. eventually i reached the 2nd to last car and then readied myself for the last big push for the back of the group about 40-50m in front, i shot round and cruised nicely past the commissaire who kindly indicated (i think) that he would turn a blind eye to my drafting with a wave and a smile

So i was pretty tired from that and took shelter mid pack, where my mind turned to this funny feeling i mentioned earlier. i realised i was feeling a bit sick. I tried to convince myself it was from my effort to get back on the bunch, but over the next couple of laps it got worse and worse, until just before 2 laps to go i pulled over and threw up at the side of the road.

I was was (am) gutted, as this was the stage a REALLY was looking forward to. I was in no mood to hang about so grabbed my dad and drove off home where I was sick a couple more times, and now I have diarrhea. I think I know the cause- this morning i accidentally ate an out of date microwave meal, at the time i thought it would be fine...but the urge to run to the loo as im typing now, is letting me know how wrong i was!

for me, i think the tour is over

stuStu Merckx Man

No comments: