Wednesday 4 June 2008

Highbury to Pimlico: Thai for Me

Monday 3rd Of June. (Phone conversation with Girlfriend)

GF: Aren't you racing tonight?
Me: Nah that's tomorrow
GF: Hey guess what? Today is our sixth year anniversary!
Me: Me really?
GF: 2002 remember?
Me: Oh yeah, 1st day of the world cup - Brazil were playing Equador I think
GF: Mmm trust you to remember that. You coming around then, Its Thai tonight?
Me: (Big Smile)See you in 35mins babe


Ten minutes later... Snap Snap go the Speed play cleats! I then swing a right turn on to Blackstock Road. 53/21 for the next 60 secs and then its 53/19 stomp for the little 30 metre 7 per cent climb. I grab a lung full of air at the top and bring things back to 53/21 and spin at 20mph along Highbury Grove. I take a cheeky manoeuvre around the parked 19 bus...Whoa!! brakes on to allow a mother, buggy and kids to cross at the Zebra. The half smile as I wizz past my old secondary school soon becomes a solemn frown as I ride past the spot where my mates' 15 year old sister was knocked down and killed in 2006.

At the Lights facing St Pauls road and I wait while the best looking Red Light Jumper I've seen in ages rolls away on her fully suspendend MTB which must of cost a cool £80 at least. The Lights change I've caught her by the time I get to Highbury Corner roundabout. A second glance confirms she's definitely stunner. Calvin Klien glasses, sit stylishly on top of mousy blonde hair. No lycra on this babe - just a pink dress, denim waist coat and some cute soft brown swede boots. I resist a third glance, that would be pervy! Its first exit for her and 2nd exit for me. 18mph past Starbucks quickly become 23mph as I cruise past Islington Fire Station. On Upper Street, Angel there are lots of trendy peeps looking for bars and restaurants to hang out in.

At the main set of lights near Essex road, not far from Mosquito Bike Shop, there is five of us. A couple of fellas on mountain bikes, an Assoss roadie with what looks like a house on his back and a kid on a BMX. As predicted the kid RLJ's and we watch as he skillfully avoids a bus but forces one of those New Renault Meganes to brake behind him. Quite rightly he gets the Beep Beep treatment then bunny hops the kurb and turns right down a side road.

My phone rings and I fumble in the back pocket to answer it. Hello mate! Hi Dad can you...? I interrupt him mid sentence. Call me in half an hour K I'm riding my bike.
The Light literally take forever to change to green. In a few minutes I'm blasting past Bloomsbury Theatre at 25mph. Its all down hill from here. Ten minutes later I'm cruising past the Cut at Evans Cycles. Thai food is literally now a mile and a half away.

Oh I forgot to mention the Blackfriars Bridge Hill climb challenge. It was a close run thing thing. I pulled up amongst a big bunch of cyclist at the Lights near the Blackfriars Station and a naughty courier unsurprisingly RLJ's which gets him a good gap. When the lights change I sprint hard (but make it fair by not changing gears)and pull him back, sensing I'm coming he spins harder on his track bike but its too late. I pip him to the top of the Bridge - my maximum cadence 127rpms. The final dig takes place along Millbank in 53/17 and few minutes later than promised (I had to go to Threshers) I'm there. Did ya bring any wine she says? I smile and take off my rucksack. Its open, she peers in and smiles back.

No comments: