Sunday 11 May 2008

Hillingdon again: VET City

If life begins at 40 I'm just a toddler and some of these guys I'm up against are teenagers ;-) Yes, there was a good size field last Wednesday. 60+ maybe? Historically less competitive big fields ain't good for me. Large bunches tend to make me a little blase' - cozy in my thoughts and in my position.

Not too much energy is required at the back when nervously jostling to maintain 48th place and that suits me a little too well. These VETS races are similar to the average 3rd cat race in terms of the jerky pace - unlike the faster smoother E123races at Hillingdon on a Tuesday night. Anyway my ability or inability to concentrate was given a sharp test on the 5th lap when a big fella lost it slightly on the drag and barged me off line.

That was the wake up call I needed and I literally hit the front and
spent the next 45mins trying to instigate breaks, join breaks or solo off the front. Unfortunately the winning break featuring the main players had literally got going from the gun. I saw them slip away but couldn't do anything about it. Well its kinda hard when you're wearing a big ruc sac, not on your bike and about to hand over your race entry fee. In his wisdom the race organiser decided to start the race just after 7pm rather than the scheduled 7.15pm... mmm. So I got to start the race on lap two by which time we were all fighting for 7th position.

After lots of meet ups and breaks up I finally got together in a four man break (3rd group on the road) and we thru and off'd around for the last thirty minutes. I haven’t been in that many breakaways that have made it to the end of a race and tactically made a bit of a boo boo.

Paul Doel (Team Quest) was struggling on the last few laps and with hindsight we shoulda shoock him off which woulda made the sprint a lot easier. Anyway with 200 metres to go a Finchley RT guy attacks. I was slightly overgeared and was the last to respond but with 50 metres to go I was gaining on both him and the 2nd placed guy; but perhaps chosing the wrong line Mr Doel kindly guided me on to the grass:-( So I came last out of my breakaway mates. Grrr!!!. Next race I definitely need to make top 10.

2 comments:

Patron Choufflard said...

Hey Toks come and play with us :)Paul H is a Vet too that doesn't prevent him from doing so (though he does go on about it ...)

Ade Merckx said...

I'm working at the weekends so racing/riding is not always possible. It will be mostly midweek crits for a while I'm afraid. :-)