Saturday 24 January 2009

Looking For The Perfect Beat


Early 80's Hip Hop aficianado’s may recall "Looking for the Perfect Beat" as the follow up single to Africa Bambatta’s and the Soul Sonic force's world wide classic hit "Planet Rock". I've always love the title of the track more so than the song. I think 'looking for the perfect beat/rhythm/cadence gearing, perceived exertion' describes a state of athletic utopia; you're in the zone with all the perfect sensations. Your legs feel like they have the power of pistons and the feeling on the bike is amazing as you almost float across the ground (without a tailwind). If you're lucky you'll probably get one of those rides a year (it was the win at Goodwood for me last year - no effort what so ever to get in the breakaway and a nice surge on the last lap to break free - BEAUTIFUL and relatively speaking painless). In The US postal team I think they described it as being a 'no chain' feeling.

Well whatever?? On Saturday morning the beat was far from perfect and trying to hold 20-22mph in 53/19 or 18 was a very unsyncopated. Later on in the afternoon I returned to Regents Park for a number of good steadish laps with Stephanie riding by my side. Steph was on her new carbon fella. He's names Scott. There wasn't any grimacing up the draggy bits from Steph so I expect her form to start building. Mmmm :-)

No comments: