Saturday 13 June 2009

Spotlight on...John Camden

Who do you race for?
Addiscombe CC

How long have you been racing?
This is my third unglorious year of racing.



What type of races do you do?
Only 10 mile TTs - the thought of doing anything longer fills me with absolute and complete horror!!!

Where do you race?
So far I've only done the ACC events (superbly organised and marshalled!!)- the North Holmwood and Bletchingley courses - but I'm planning on doing something a bit more adventerous this year.

Briefly describe a typical training session -
Training sessions??!! You've got to be joking! At the moment I'm riding a minimum 110 kms every weekend - I mix it up, ride as hard as I can for 5/10 kms - slow it down and go again. I nearly always ride with my son Sam - we have an unofficlal KoM race up every climb we hit - he wins. I supplement 'doing it for real' with a couple of 50/60 minute sessions on the turbo trainer each week. Put on the music - loud - and start sweating!!

What are your Goals for this year?
Goals - there's only really one when it comes to racing TTs - got to beat my PB! Having said that thinking about it I do have another - I want to break the age standard for a 10. I was seconds out last year - should do it this as the older I get the easier the standard gets!!

Have you got any training Tips?

Training Tips? - well, yes - this works for me - on the turbo do a 10 mile time trial once a week really hard and try to beat your time. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose - it's 'fun' - but overall I've got faster and faster.

What have been your best races so far?
Best race - no doubt, the President's 10 last September. Last race of the season and in a way everything had been building up to it. Just everything went right. I warmed up properly - rode the course before hand - used my head: didn't go off too hard, too early and reeled in the riders in front of me. All those painful hours on the turbo seemed to pay off. I just felt so good. I knew I'd ridden well but forgot to start my bike computer so didn't know how well. I couldn't believe it when the times were posted. I absolutely mashed my PB by an incredible 1 minute 40 !!! ...and got third place on HC to boot.

No comments: