Wednesday 10 June 2009

Smithfield Nocturne: 2,3,4

Apologies if you've been wondering why it took me so long to write this latest report...occasionally I get pissed off, disappointed, demoralised and a little down with this competitive amateur cycling stuff. The Nocturne was actually pencilled in as a race I'd like to do well in. Last year I was 18th so top 10 would've been a good improvement...When you've committed yourself to writing a blog essentially about your cycling and training exploits... well that is indeed what you should do. So belatedly here we go. OK so I'm sure you've been on londoncyclesport and you've seen the video footage and plenty of pictures of the event. It's a fantastic event; and in fact bar the TDF coming to London this is the perfect cycling spectacle - a perfect intro for those poor folk who have never seen a bike.

Myself and Sylvain "Racerboy" Garde (Addiscombe CC) didn't have a true plan although I did think the words "breakaway and leadout". The important thing would be to be near the front. Sylv has been in great form this season so a definite podium spot could be on the cards. I think the main guys to watch were going to be Cameron Austin (London Dynamo) and Chaz Hollosi (Gemini BC) and of course a few others. A 45 minute warm up around the circuit went well and I observed what the best lines to take were from Sylv and the super motivated Stuart Spies (London Dynamo). In short, it was a perfect crit circuit - a flat 1k loop with a couple of sharpish turns and some slightly uneven bits of tarmac. There were spectators all around the course, with lots of bars restaurants and plenty of bike bling and Rapha gear for sale. And lastly there was a very excitable race commentator. Cool!

After the warm up we left the circuit for around twenty minutes and returned after a preliminary stage of the folding bike race. Now last year I made a mistake and did too many warm up laps and took to the start line right at the back of the field. So this year I completed the final warm up lap and started the race at the back of the field. AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I couldn't beleive it, what a bozo! If it was a Road Race or Hillingdon it wouldn't have been a problem but like at Palace and on any circuit with acute angles your starting place in the bunch would be critical. I stopped crying and leaned against the starting barrier at the back and clipped both feet in. I looked at Dermot (Finchley RT) who also made the same mistake and collectively we bowed our heads. Slyv very sensibly was a wheel back from the front row surrounded by an Army of Dynamos.

Away we went and my sprint to the first hairpin bend was rendered null and void as millions 'swamped' around the first turn bend. Out of the turn I tried sprinting past people which interestingly enough was what everyone else was trying to do. The gap from the Dynamo led front group was already telling (I could see them just completing the the straight section)whilst we emerged from the slight drag and snaky turn. All we needed now was a crash to give those speedy boys in blue a few more seconds.

On the most 'comfortable' hairpin on the circuit heading back to the start line - it happened! Three bodies and bikes were spread out like discarded toys in front of us. We "braked, swerved, bobbed, weaved, changed down, then back up" and resuming race pace. The spilt was now clear as we blasted back past the start line and down the descent. Surely no one would crash again - that would be silly! Down he went two bikes in front of me. My knee joint winced with pain as I hammered from track stand speed back up to full sprint endeavouring to catch those taking advantage of another riders misfortune.

It was a little encouraging on lap 3 and 4 as worked our proverbial off to pick off stragglers and those being tailed off from the front group. Visually most of the race was a blur I could hear people shouting "come on Toks", "go Addiscombe" but couldn't see anything but back wheels, tarmac and bright Lycra. If I was coming along it wasn't quick enough and despite the pedal stomping, tongue hanging, air gulping it wasn't enough. After 6-7 laps it was clear our group of 10-12 would be just be a support race within THE support race. So there we were: two Brixton Cycles guys, a Junior - Jake Butler from In Gear, my friend Chris Baldwin from Eagle RT, Dermot and a few others. Chris worked as hard as he could and from time to time dragged himself clear but the gap was too much to make up and his efforts were being compromised by his tentativeness on the bends.

It was a very hard race and I like to believe our efforts matched those of the front group. So what if the real drama was being played out 600 metres further up the circuit. Someone wisely kept shouting "move up Toks". Was this even something I was capable of? In desperate perhaps foolhardy move I gave it the big un. My hope was that my dig would take myself and Chris who was on the front, away from the group... no chance mate!.

The Lactate Gods refused to allow my thigh muscles to contract at a higher speed so after a lap on the front I got back on the wheels. Things did eased up a touch although but not enough to take a drink. With a few laps to go I could see the successful two man Dynamo-Gemini break ahead of the front group. After 40 mins the laps board showed 5 laps, and thankfully these quickly passed quickly. Those that had sat on sprinted things out at for the finish. My race had been over from start really. Oh well...Sylv brought honor to South London's most famous Cycling Club and place a creditable 4th :-)




counters

2 comments:

snoopdoug said...

You did good dude, most wouldn't even put themselves on the line. You did, and you learned loads. Respect by the truck load.

Ade Merckx said...

Thanks mate it was nice to see you, meet your wife and that precocious and very cute young lady called Keira :-)