Saturday 30 August 2008

Hog Hill (31.08.08): Team Economic Energy 3/4's

Blimey! if you believed some of the stuff doing the rounds on the various forums you'd think the climb on Hog Hill was the lengh and height of Alpe D'uez. Anyway whatever! I'd decided to take my 71 kilo grammed self back for some more pain this afternoon. Once again I was riding on my lonesome. The field was down to just 40 odd riders this week and the weather was the lovely summery kind that we've been craving since June.

On lap one there was a large explosion right in front of me that scared half of the bunch to death. It was my front tyre - a complete blow out. The inner tube had been ripped to shreds. I hobbled back to the start line taking short cuts across the freshly laid soil surrounding the track. Good old Tim Harris (remember him, should be back next year ) offered me his front wheel and a lap later I was back in the bunch.

We were only ten minutes in and there were a group of four about 30 metres in front of the bunch. I cranked up the watts into the head wind section and a less than a minute later I was at the front urging them all to put some work in. Two laps later we had a tentative 25 second gap and with fifteen minutes to go we had a minute. A top five place was definitely assured; the issue was how to make sure I got the lowest number.

With three laps to go I put in a testing dig and my breakaway buddies worked hard to chase me down. With two laps to go I jumped again and the out come was the same. On the bell lap I hit em again and led out on the climb. Almost did it but not quite. I was pipped into second by Tim's mate

No comments: