Monday 13 July 2009

Spotlight on... Chris Baldwin

Name

Chris Baldwin (aliases Big Guy, Yank, Diesel)

Who do you race for?

Eagle RC, and it only took a year of riding with Simon Hewins around Tok's own Regents Park Velodrome to get the invite. It was to their Christmas mince pie night 2006, and by the time I left I'd been stripped, re-dressed in full racing kit and about £100 worse for it. The club takes the initiations seriously. How else do I explain the scars?



How long have you been racing?

More of a how long on the bike, as I were a poor country lad with no organised races in rural New York in the early 70s. We used to live on our bikes in the country lanes, about as rural as it gets. Two of us from a little village thinking we were the second coming of Merckx as we did 60 to 120 mile runs. If only we could have found a race. Or a club. Or someone who could show us how to keep rims clean when gluing tubs. And have chamois that didn't feel like lizard skin. Wool shorts and all.

Three years ago I decided enough talk of non-existent glory days, got my BC license and did my first organised races. Just getting on to a 70 races since then, so making up for some lost time.

What type of races do you do?

More easily answered that I don't do track, which anyone who's seen my masterful sprint displays will agree is a good thing. Road racing, circuit racing, time trialling (10 to 100 miles), a bit of cross and even, as much as I hide it, a few bike legs in organised triathlons (it pays well!).

Where do you race?

I suppose Hog Hill is my home circuit, but all the London usual suspects with the exception of Palace as it clashes with our TT series, the E1 and E2 TT courses, the ERRL races and have been known to sneak off to Yorkshire for a fast ride and to France to taste the pain of continental 123 Cat racing.

Briefly describe a typical training session -

As a single dad to a six year old daughter (and even with an understanding girlfriend), time is of the essence. Training is year round in blocks of generally two hours time six days a week where intensity and quality rule over quantity.

I don't mind going round and round my usual circuit of Regents Park most days as it provides a consistent platform that can be used for intervals, tempo and even the odd sprinting session. There's always a cabbie to chase or if I'm with Phil Sheehan little electric cars to annoy. Liz, the multi-talented girlfriend and former Australia rowing champion, races as well and we get some good sessions in where I try to hold 25 mph while she drafts as preparation for some of her races, then open gaps and chase each other down. I almost went to a Powertap this year, but had cold feet at the last minute as it seemed like yet another device to tell me that my numbers don't add up to my results.

What are your Goals for this year?

Well, we're half way through and the season has shaped up with some nice surprises. I survived turning 50 in March, and for the first time thought I might try a few of the coffin dodger races.

I've targetted the various masters national and world championships, and a few others where the points will help the club. So far, so good as I've had several wins and podiums with the best racing (road race champs) to come.

It'll be good to get the 2nd Cat license, but I've been sitting on 37 points for the last few weeks and I reckon the 3rds are toying with me and won't let me get there without a fight. No respect for their elders I say.

Managed to pick up our club championship last year based on time trialling results over 25, 50 and 100 miles and wouldn't mind holding the trophy for another year as my daughter is growing some wild flowers in the cup and don't fancy having to clean it out yet. Too boring (even to me) to state individual times to break on the TT distances, but seem to be a bit quicker this year than last so with a fair wind blowing . . .

And of course riding naked on the tandem through London on a sunny saturday in June with 1200 other cyclists. Or was I dreaming that one?

Have you got any training Tips?

Long slow distance makes you good at riding long slow distances. Follow the training advice of Greg Lemond and keep the intensity high. It's good for the soul. Race as many times a week in the summer as you're able. Beats training.

What have been your best races so far?

Without a doubt, it was the day that my daughter and I both won our respective races at Hog Hill. Equal prize money as well. Second was the win at the Hillingdon GP (where the combined age of the next three finishers just edged over 50) and then third would have to be finishing on the same lap as the leaders in the Smithfield Nocturne, 50 yards from home with friends, family and club mates supporting mme around the meat market circuit. And handing me a pint on the warm down.

No comments: